Saturday, August 4, 2007

"On Using Eager Aspirations"


This passage jolted me awake this morning. The Royal Way of the Cross is one of my favorite devotional books, and is a collection of letters written by a French 17th century priest, François Fénelon. I love his writings because they are wise, but they are frank. They do not let me get away with anything.

It is not to be wondered at that you should have a sort of jealous eagerness and ambition to advance in the spiritual life, and to be in the confidence of noteworthy servants of God.

Self-love naturally seeks successes of this kind, which are flattering to it. The real thing that matters, however, is not to satisfy your ambition by some brilliant advance in virtue, or by being taken into the confidence of distinguished persons, but to mortify the flattering tendencies of self-love, to humble yourself, to love obscurity and contempt, and to seek God only.
People cannot become perfect by hearing or reading about perfection. The chief thing is not to listen to yourself, but silently to give ear to God; to renounce all vanity, and apply yourself to real virtue.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Wow - that really cuts to the quick, doesn't it?! I'm so that way. Thanks for sharing this with us. And this site looks TERRIFIC!

Check my site today. I gave you an award!

Shireen said...

wowzers!The constant struggle of spirit vs. flesh. Good thing we're not at it alone.
SO thrilled you started your blog! Like I mentioned on Laura's blog, I'm working on having mine set up soon - will let you know :-)